Zalantar, also called the blackwood, is an odd tree that is usually found in Chult or other southern areas. Its pure black wood is coveted for building because it is durable but not a hard wood. Weapons and shields made from zalantar have the following properties:
- Light shields have +2 armor modifier. This counts as an item property. This property is removed if you add another item property that gives an enhancement bonus to the item.
- Light shields also have -5% arcane spell failure. This counts as another item property.
- Heavy shields have -5% arcane spell failure
- Tower shields have +2 armor modifier and -10% arcane spell failure
- Bows have Mighty +2
- Crossbows have attack bonus +1
- Clubs and spears inflict +1 magical damage
- Staves inflict +1 electrical damage
Crafting any weapon or shield out of Zalantar adds 10 to its difficulty class.