A tileset is a collection of tiles which follow a common theme. They allow module creators to select from a list of different tiles (each with varying sizes) so they can construct an area in the module.
Neverwinter Nights 2 will have a fundamental change in how environments are built. In NWN, all areas were built with tilesets from a list (see NWNWiki). NWN2 will use tilesets for interior areas only, while exterior areas will be built with a brand new method using height maps and "paintable" terrain.
The new toolset will not restrict the number of different types of tilesets per area. For example, a module creator can have half the area castle and the other half caves. The maximum area size is still 32 x 32 tiles though.
There are seven tilesets in the base version of NWN2 available for use in interior areas:
- Standard interior: Used for most common buildings
- Standard castle: Used for castles/upper class buildings
- Crypt: Used for tombs
- Standard Mine: Used for mineshafts
- Caves: Used for natural caverns
- Illefarn: Used for the ruins of the Illefarn Empire
- Shadow Fortress: Used for the last dungeon in the official campaign
Mask of the Betrayer adds two new tilesets:
In addition, textures can be swapped in each tileset for variety, such as new cavern textures.