A strange compromise between chainmail and full plate, scale mail uses the benefits of having plates with the flexibility of not having any rigid surfaces like a breastplate. Thus these "scales" are fastened on the top of a sturdy cloth or leather vest with chainmail supporting any additional area that is exposed.
- Mithral: DC 14, armor check penalty reduced to -1, arcane spell failure down to 15%, weight cut by half, maximum dexterity bonus increased to 5, treated as light armor
- Darksteel: DC 14, 5/- acid damage resistance
- Adamantine: DC 19, 2/- damage resistance
- Wyvern hide: DC 24, +2 armor bonus, +4 saving throws vs. poison, 20% weight reduction
- Red dragon hide: DC 27, +3 armor modifier, 20/- fire damage resistance, 20% weight reduction