- Type of feat
- Ranger level 17, Assassin level 8, Shadowdancer level 1
- Required for
The character can use the hide skill when being observed. This ability will not always be successful in the frenzy of combat -- but disengaging from the enemy before attempting to hide in plain sight will succeed.
- Selected (Stealth Mode)
- Like normal hiding, once hidden constant stealth checks must be performed. Of course, in combat, hiding and then using sneak attack is an effective way to battle.
- A failed attempt to hide in plain sight requires a 6 second cool down before trying again.
- The Ranger's version of this feat may only be used in outdoor/natural areas.
- True Seeing will not cause the target of the spell to automatically spot hidden creatures, contrary to the description of the spell. Even creatures that have True Seeing as an innate ability, such as dragons, will not automatically spot hidden creatures.
Due to the method by which perception is handled in NWN2, it is possible for a character with this feat to get sneak attacks against an opponent with vastly superior detection abilities by canceling combat and hiding at the very end of their combat round and attacking right at the beginning. By minimizing the time between hiding and attacking, this minimizes the chances of the target getting a chance to percieve the target while it is hidden. This tactic effectively removes any counter to a character with hide in plain sight catching his opponent flat-footed for the first flurry of his attack.
On some Persistent World servers with HiPS is to press the S key (or any other movement key) in the middle of battle, particularly during PvP, to take themselves out of attack mode and then use HIPS. This can be done even though the other character was attacking as little as a second ago and is still within swords reach. Unfortunately, this can become abused to the point where anyone with the HiPS skill can run away from an enormously-stacked battle against them during the combat itself.
To counter a character using HIPS you have one of three methods. First, you can cast a Area of Effect spell such as Acid Fog, Storm of Vegenance, or Wail Banshee
to prevent stealth. (Or killing the character) Another counter is knockdown because a character with HIPS cannot disappear on their backside and those who use HIPS normally have a bad Strength score. Finally, stepping back and running away from the direction the person with HIPS disappeared into, to use your detection skill is effective way to counter the tactic. (Just make sure you continue to walk in the opposite direction you saw the person using HIPS disappear in)
Note: To re-target a person who reappears after using Hide in Plain Sight, just press the Tab button on your keyboard.
- Only shadowdancers had access in NWN to the hide in plain sight feat.