Description: The dwarven defender is a sponsored champion of a dwarven cause, a dwarf aristocrat, a dwarven deity, or the dwarven way of life. As the name might imply, this character is a skilled combatant trained in the arts of defense. A line of dwarven defenders is a far better defense than a 10-foot-thick wall of stones, and much more dangerous. Most Dwarven defenders are fighters, paladins, rangers, or clerics, although ex-barbarians, sorcerers, wizards, and druids can certainly all benefit from the defensive capabilities of this prestige class. Rogues, bards, and monks usually depend too heavily on mobility to use the abilities of the dwarven defender class to their fullest.
Class feature progressionEdit
|Hit die: 12|
|Proficiencies: Weapons (simple, martial), armor (light, medium, heavy), as well as shields (except for tower shields)|
|Skill points: 2 + Int modifier|
|Class skills: Craft alchemy, Craft armor, Craft weapon, Listen, Parry, Spot|
|Base attack bonus progression: High|
|Saving throws||high:||Fortitude, Will|
|1||Defensive stance x1, improved defense I|
|3||Defensive stance x2|
|4||improved defense II, trap sense I|
|5||Defensive stance x3|
|6||Dwarven Defender damage reduction I, improved uncanny dodge|
|7||Defensive stance x4, improved defense III|
|9||Defensive stance x5, trap sense II|
|10||Dwarven Defender damage reduction II, improved defense IV|
The dwarven defender can become a bastion of defense. They cannot move from the spot they're defending, but they gain +2 enhancement bonus to Strength and +4 to Constitution, a +4 Dodge bonus to AC, and a +2 bonus to all saves. A 1st-level dwarven defender can use this ability once per day. They gain an additional use every two levels beyond 1st.
A dwarven defender with a ranged weapon equipped cannot activate defensive stance.
As of Patch 1.06, this feat has been fixed and is now working correctly. It was broken in all patches prior to 1.06.
The feat cannot be altered by modifications, since it is hardcoded into the game and any reference to scripts or the spells.2da doesn't matter.
At 4th level the dwarven defender gets a +1 reflex bonus against all traps. At 9th level this bonus increases by an additional +1.
At 6th level, the dwarven defender gains DR 3/-. This increases to DR 6/- at 10th level.
Improved uncanny dodgeEdit
At 6th level, the dwarven defender can no longer be sneak attacked except by a character with 4 or more total levels in classes that grant sneak attack than the character levels of the dwarven defender.
- The Dwarven Defender can achieve high damage resistance in fewer levels than other classes. Barbarians, and Warlocks must take at least 19-22 levels to achieve similar results to a level 17 Defender.
- This class was introduced in the Hordes of the Underdark NWN expansion.
- The dwarven defender in NWN didn't have improved defense and received different bonuses in defensive awareness rather than trap sense and improved uncanny dodge.
- The discipline skill that was created for NWN was removed in NWN2 and combat feats relating to it now function closer to 3.5 rules.
DnD 3.5 comparisonEdit
- The parry skill was created by NWN and is not a feature of DnD 3.5. It has returned in NWN2 for the same reasons it was in NWN.
- In DnD 3.5 the ability bonuses gained from Defensive Stance are not listed as enhancement bonuses.