- Type of feat: Class
- Prerequisite: Rogue level 10/13/16/19, Shadowdancer level 5
- Required for: Epic Dodge
- Specifics: If the character is struck by a potentially lethal blow (one that would put them at or below 0 hit points), they make a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If successful, they take only half damage from the blow.
- Use: Automatic. Flat-footed characters cannot make a defensive roll.
- This feat may be used multiple times per day.
- A Rogue can take Defensive Roll as one of their special ability choices at level 10, 13, 16 or 19.
- Shadowdancers receive this feat automatically at level 5.
3.5 Defensive rollEdit
A character with this feature can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than she otherwise would.
Once per day, when she would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), she can attempt to roll with the damage.
To use this ability, the character must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, she takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, she takes full damage. She must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive roll—if she is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, she can’t use this ability.
Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the Rogue’s Evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.