Figuring that the central torso does not require as much flexibility to move as other parts of the body, this form of armor essentially uses the central component of half plate and supplements it with normal leather armor.
- Mithral: DC 15, armor check penalty reduced to -1, arcane spell failure down to 15%, weight cut by half, maximum dexterity bonus increased to 5, treated as light armor
- Darksteel: DC 15, 5/- acid damage resistance
- Adamantine: DC 20, 2/- damage resistance
- Umber Hulk Hide: DC 22, +2 armor bonus, immunity to mind-affecting spells
- Wyvern hide: DC 25, +2 armor bonus, +4 saving throws vs. poison, 20% weight reduction
- Red dragon hide: DC 28, +3 armor modifier, 20/- fire damage resistance, 20% weight reduction